ReesLeisure in the Community
The ReesLeisure company ethos is:
Utilising the local environment to benefit the community’s health, wealth and wellbeing
We truly believe in the importance of making sure that the community are at the heart of everything we do, and you can see from the below how we have considered this from every angle.
- Over 65% of our competitors are from the local area. We have chosen our routes very carefully to ensure a balance between keeping the city moving and selecting some of the most exciting, historic and beautiful natural are as that the city has to offer. Importantly, we specifically request feed back each year from a wide range of key stakeholders (including the runners themselves and our volunteer pacers) – this means that our events have been jointly developed with our running community to make this an event that has been designed for them and improved by them each year.
- Approximately £1 million annually is brought into Southampton’s economy on the weekend of the ABP Southampton Marathon event. We encourage our 10,000 participants to take advantage of all that the local businesses have to offer, through directly advertising their offers and discounts straight through to the competitors and spectators; as well as highlighting Southampton as a tourist destination. We do not bring in any external food and drink vendors and deliberately have our race village in the centre of the city – this is because we prefer to work closely with and support the local businesses and encourage greater spend in the Southampton economy.
- All of our fantastic marshals are volunteer groups from the local community (made up from 45 different community groups from Southampton and the local area). We are lucky enough to have very engaged volunteers who help provide us feedback each year so that the local community is helping to improve every aspect of the event.
- As well as talking to all of our participants, volunteers, key stakeholders involved in the event, and the local businesses; we also make sure to spend a lot of time communicating to our local residents. This is to not only make sure that they aren’t disrupted by the event in any way (we offer personalized route plans to help with access around the city); but also to encourage involvement with cheering and supporting the amazing runners round the course. Our team took 1.49 million steps (over 27 marathons between them) to deliver more than 8,000 resident letters in 2019. The ABP Southampton Marathon, Half Marathon and 10k event is known as one of the best supported events in the South.
- We work very closely with the local Universities (Solent and Winchester) to provide opportunities for a wide variety of their students to gain industry experience. We also have guest lectured and regularly provide live briefs for the students to work on real life problems and develop their skills in a more realistic fashion, receiving feedback from us at every stage.
- With Wessex Swim School we have given back to the community over the years through offering a local swimming gala as well as providing free lessons for Scouts to get their swimming badges.
- Looking at the wider community (the world!) we aim to be as sustainable as possible, and in our 2019 events began a big drive for making them green so that the environment could be utilized sustainably, and encourage others to repeat these habits elsewhere. From a 99.96% decrease in single use plastic bottles; 100% removal of plastic goody bags; changing the lead cars to hybrid or electric and ensuring there is no food or clothing waste post event (all donated to various charities). We work each year to improve our sustainability as an events company. Read our going green blog:
To find out more about our events, or get involved as a charity partner, please contact: [email protected]
If you would like to get involved as a community group, please click here:
To find out more about Wessex Swim School please click here: www.wessexswimschool.co.uk